Saturday, July 2, 2011

The Tale of Molly and the Glasses

Wednesday morning, I woke up and couldn't find my glasses. I asked Molly Toddler if she'd seen them; she told me "no", but acted guilty. I turned the house upside down and did not find them.

Thursday, she confessed to me that she'd broken my glasses and thrown them in the kitchen trash. Our trash day? Thursday.

I scheduled an eye appointment for Friday afternoon, and enjoyed a partially child free day of errands (thank you Grandma Toddler). I purchased new glasses shortly after the appointment.

This afternoon, I began sorting the laundry. Now, I normally do this Thursday night because, Friday is laundry day. However, since I had a day of errands planned, I put it off til today. You get three chances to guess what I found in the laundry - I doubt you'll need all three.


Apparently Molly channeled Anne of Green Gables and falsely confessed to breaking my glasses. Perhaps she thought I'd be happier if I knew what happened to them. Who knows...

When shown the recovered glasses, Molly was delighted.
Molly: See! I didn't break them. I just hid them in the laundry.
Daddy: Molly, that's bad. You lied to us, and we had to buy new glasses.
Molly: But I found them... because I have secret eyes!

I'm kicking myself for not sorting the laundry Thursday night and consequently spending unnecessary money on glasses (since I don't tutor in the summer now is NOT the t$me). However, my prescription has changed since I got them 6 years ago. Street signs are delightfully easy to read, and distant trees have clearly defined leaves again. Also, they're cute:


The moral(s) of the story? Never trust a 3-year-old's story, and do the laundry on time!

No comments:

Post a Comment