Friday, July 22, 2011

Thank you for the Black

In light of the most recent post, and the lengthy discussion on Facebook that came of it, I feel the need to share the following story.

When I was 2, my parent's had friend that I called "Mr. Dag". He went to our church and was a funny, kind man. He was also a very, very dark black man.

One night he came to dinner at our house. I was asked to pray and said the following prayer:
Dear God,
Thank you for this food. And thank you for mommy and daddy. And thank you for the black.
In Jesus name,
Amen

My mother's hope that perhaps he couldn't understand what I was saying and that the meal would proceed was dashed when I folded my little hands, looked him straight in the eye and said "Mr. Dag... why are you black?"

He laughed and said "Because that's the way God made me!".

That was good enough for me.

Children simply observe and describe things. Adults are the ones who read into it. I think we could learn a lot from toddlers.

3 comments:

  1. When Daddy Toddler was about 4, I had a cleaning lady who came now and again. He asked one day "when is the brown lady coming back to see us?" Even living in the south, I hope he still just likes to see everyone the way "God made" them. Nice to know his daughters will, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry- you did a good job on him. Daddy Toddler feels the same way I do about this. Did he not, I would not have married him ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of the most re-told stories of your childhood mommy-toddler! :P

    ReplyDelete