Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Toddler Trouble: Mother's Day (Acting) Out

Molly Toddler got sent to the principal's office today.

Well, not technically the principal's office. I arrived an hour and a half early today to pick up my toddlers, when I noticed a little yellow chair outside the door of Molly's classroom. My heart sank- I knew it was for my child. I was right. Apparently Molly refused to read or play quietly during nap-time. Her teacher put her in the chair outside, at which point she had a throw-down and tried to get back in. Then she said she was acting like a baby and needed to go play in the baby room. She was eventually sent to the office to sit because she was being so disruptive. When I arrived she was happily chatting with of the adult staff members.

Molly doesn't nap every day, and has napped at MDO a grand total of two times in the last two years. Acting out during nap-time is not acceptable, but possibly understandable. (What's an active 3 year old gonna to do for an hour while everyone else sleeps?) When I asked if the problems started at nap-time the teacher said Molly had acted like that all day. She yelled, hit, and threw toys. She refused to listen and was sassy to the teacher.

Her behavior at MDO has been on the decline for about a month now. I have absolutely no idea what is causing it. I was in tears today as we were leaving because I am at such a loss. It's impossible for me to control her behavior when I'm not there. I'm not sure how much if it is lack of classroom control on the teacher's part, and how much if it is her being naughty.

So, I'm asking you: do you have any advice? What can I do to turn this around? PLEASE HELP!

No comments:

Post a Comment