Sunday, March 6, 2011

Toddler Wisdom: Beautiful Weeds

It is completely unreasonable of our yard to start growing weeds in mid-February. Our lawn mower broke last year, and we pay to have someone cut the lawn (which is worth every penny as it eliminates yard-work as a source of marital tension :-). The problem is that I asked to have it cut a week ago and it's still not done. This is stressing me out, because we are now semi-finalists in the neighborhood game of "ugly-yard-chicken". I don't want to win this game.

Anyway, I was letting the girls enjoy some spring air and trying not to look at the foot high patch of weeds. Then, Molly let out a squeal of delight. "Mommy!!!Look at these BEAUTIFUL purple flowers. I'm going to pick some for you to put in a vase!" She was genuinely delighted with and fascinated by the unsightly clump of weeds in the yard.

I get so busy living and doing what I want on my schedule that life's little annoyances make me unnecessarily upset. The train delay is more time to talk to and sing with my girls in the car. The early wake-up time means extra cuddle time. The tutoring student that canceled with no notice allows me to take an hour to cook and eat with my family. Sometimes I have to stop and remember that the weeds are beautiful.

Sorry to get all philosophical. It was just one of those moments where you realize you're going about things with the wrong attitude and I wanted to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment